Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Issue #2: No notification when items are returned NSF(!!!)

At ING Direct, if they are unable to pay an item they simply reject it. They do not charge a fee to you (that's a great thing) but they don't provide any notice that someone or something tried to make a charge against your account anywhere on your account web site (that's a bad thing) and every time it happens they get ANGRIER and ANGRIER (that turns out to be the worst thing).

In my case one item was bounced this way from a repeating electronic withdrawal I had set up on my NetBank account. I had not authorized this entity to my new account but the accounts were in transition and ING Direct was honoring NetBank electronic transactions. That is fine.

I received a letter mail a week or two later sayng that NSF charge(s) had happened (which is how I knew this happened) but did not provide specific details about what the item was, who sent it, etc. I happened to know the electronic item in question and why it bounced so I read the letter (which by the way did not request any action except to quit bouncing charges) and knew that the issue would disappear when the account separated fully from its NetBank counterpart.

Well as you can probably guess, this charge continued (I am finding out now, at the end of May 2008) all through the first months of the year. Each time getting rejected and each time making them agrier and angrier. Not angry enough to put something in my online transaction history that said ELECTRONIC DEBIT FAILED NSF with who /what / how much information, but angry enough apparently to stew on it. They also weren't angry enough to send me any more mail telling me about these new NSFs.

Eventually, on May 28, I tried to sign into my account and it asked me to call customer support. After they told me what was going on I explained what seemed to be happening and was told that there was nothing I could do to reopen my account. I spoke to a manager, layed everything out again and received the same response. I think it was a manager it may have been a very angry robot.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. The same thing happened to me. I had no idea and they didn't inform me, and now my account is going to be closed a month from now. I've never had this experience with a bank before. And even the letter to inform me was a short, very poorly written paragraph. Not professional at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thing happened to me. The list of outrageous things they did to get me to call them is way too long to list. No matter who they spoke to, the repeated the same sentence. No matter what question I asked, they repeated the same sentence. When I asked for them to explain, they repeated the same sentence. When I told them truthfully that I'm a high profile fraud attorney with a history of eating billion dollar corporations, they hung up on me. When I wrote them, described the problem, then told them what my plan of action was if they continued to act like robots, they ignored me. Oops. Chase bank tried something similar on me about 5-7 years ago. Settlement is confidential, but suffice it to say a V.P. of Chase Bank central eventually called me to apologize, and a big check was written, and had they acted like humans at any point during a six month process, they could have saved themselves a hell of a lot of money. Best, C. Sterling Wolfe, Esq.

    ReplyDelete

Make your comment, but DO NOT LOSE YOUR HUMANITY!